Faithfulness of God
Faithfulness of God - Discovering His Faithfulness
The faithfulness of God is true and has been proven many times. In the Holy Scriptures, we can see that God is faithful and His Word is true. Hebrews 6:18 says God cannot lie, nor can He break an unconditional promise that He says He will fulfill. Every covenant He made is kept. Every promise or foretelling has or will come true. Testimony after testimony of God’s faithfulness is certainly found throughout the Bible and is still given in testimonies by people today.
In fact, accounts of covenants between God and His people can be found approximately 277 times in the Bible. Deuteronomy 7:9 says “Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments."
Faithfulness of God - Examples
The faithfulness of God is starkly evident in His relationship with the Hebrew/Jewish people. God made a land covenant with Abraham (patriarch of many nations) and has never withdrawn what He has promised. Though the Jewish people have been scattered around the world, God promised they would return to the land He promised Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all their descendants (Zechariah 8:7-8).
Among God’s fulfilled promises was that the people of Israel would again become a nation in the land He says is theirs. This prophecy made in the Old Testament was fulfilled in May of 1948. Since then, the Jewish people have been returning home.
More examples of God’s faithfulness to keep His covenants with others are found in the following verses:
- To Noah (God will save Noah and his family) – Genesis 6:17-18; 9:9-17
- To Ishmael (God will bless Ishmael and his descendants) – Genesis 17:18-20
- To Moses (God will spare the Israelites if they obey) – Exodus 19:5
- To Jacob (God reaffirms everlasting covenant to Israel) – Psalm 105:10
- God sent His Son, (Matthew 1:21-22) through Him we have everlasting life – John 3:16
- Christ died for our atonement of sin – 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10
- God’s promise to remove sins – Romans 11:25-27
- God ordained Jesus, author of eternal salvation – Hebrews 5:5-10
- God will toss our sin into the depths of the sea (never to be remembered again) - Micah 7:18-19
Faithfulness of God - The Promises
God is so faithful that anyone who seeks Him can find Him. Faith is a gift, but even a gift must be opened to be enjoyed. As we implement our faith, we begin to realize more and more about God’s faithfulness to us.
- 1 Corinthians 1:9 - “God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.”
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 - “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so you can stand up under it.”
- 2 Thessalonians 3:3 - “The Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.”
Like this information? Help us by sharing it with others. What is this?