Everlasting God – Encountering Eternity
Genesis to Revelation records man’s relationship with the Everlasting God. Kings and prophets, tax collectors and persecutors, a young shepherd boy and an exiled old man -- each life was impacted for eternity. Expressions of praise and worship reveal their encounters with the Everlasting God of all creation:
- Abraham – “...He worshiped the Lord, the Eternal God, at that place” (Genesis 21:33).
- David – “Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting! (Psalm 106:48).
- Isaiah – “The high and lofty one who inhabits eternity, the Holy One...” (Isaiah 57:15).
- Paul – “Glory and honor to God forever and ever. He is the eternal King, the unseen one who never dies; he alone is God” (1 Timothy 1:17).
- John – “And I saw another angel flying through the heavens, carrying the everlasting Good News to preach to the people who belong to this world -- to every nation, tribe, language, and people...‘Worship him who made heaven earth, the sea, and all the springs of water’” (Revelation 14:6-7).
Everlasting God – Immeasurable Giving
The human mind attempts to comprehend an Everlasting God who would be governed by present time that extends in two directions (past and future). Time, however, is restricted in duration, measured by processes of thoughts or motions. Eternity cannot be measured, yet the Everlasting God inhabits eternity, continually fulfilling His Word. Just as eternity is the unchanging present, without beginning or end, God also transcends time. As such, He gives to man without measure, holding back nothing.
- His Protection – “The eternal God is your refuge, and his everlasting arms are under you. He thrusts out the enemy before you; it is he who cries, ‘Destroy them!’” (Deuteronomy 33:27).
- His Understanding – “Have you never heard or understood? Don’t you know that the Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all earth? He never grows faint or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding” (Isaiah 40:28).
- His Love – “‘...But with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,’ says the Lord, your Redeemer” (Isaiah 54:8).
Everlasting God – God’s Greatest Gift to Mankind
The Book of John illustrates how a relationship with an Everlasting God is forever guaranteed. This was God’s purpose for sending His Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus’ very own words affirm:
- “Jesus replied, ...‘But the water I give them takes away thirst altogether. It becomes a perpetual spring within them, giving them eternal life’” (John 4:14).
- “I assure you, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life” (John 5:24).
- “For it is my Father’s will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life -- that I should raise them at the last day” (John 6:40).
What is your response?
Yes, today I am deciding to follow Jesus
Yes, I am already a follower of Jesus
I still have questions